General Road Information

Because Canton is a township and not a city or a village, the township government does not own or maintain roads.  This is why our property taxes are so low (?)  Several relevant FAQs are answered here and here. 


We have verified in the past with the Township Engineers office that all of the roads in Glengarry (1, 2, 3, and 456) are technically the responsibility of Wayne County, not the property owners.  However, the reality is that Wayne County does not carry a budget to repair minor roads, such as inside subdivisions.  In fact, if Canton Township wants to fix roads that are not a priority for Wayne County (such as Sheldon south of Cherry Hill and north of Palmer a few years ago), they have to assist with the funding. 


Using the link above or Canton’s “I Want To …” link, you can report serious road problems (such as very large potholes) to Wayne County and a lot of other useful things (vandalism, noisy neighbors, etc.) to Canton Township authorities. 


“To report hazardous road conditions please contact Wayne County at 888/ROAD-CREW (888 762 3273).  You may contact this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Please reserve calls for hazardous conditions only such as large potholes, malfunction traffic signals, or flooded roads.”


Our experience is that a call to this number regarding Glengarry Boulevard between Canton Center and Turnberry usually results in a patching crew within a few days.



How to Fix the Roads

For residential subdivisions in Wayne County like ours, the only way to fix the roads is to fund the repair ourselves.  Canton Township does not assist with the cost.  In fact, they have to add a little cost because they administer the project for us.


Below, we have three sections that describe the following: 


(1) How the process works to fix subdivision roads in Canton.

(2) What was done in 2014 to start the process of considering whether to fix the roads – specifically, Glengarry Boulevard.

(3) What the current best estimates are for the cost per household, assuming (i) Phases 1, 2, and 3 participate and (ii) assuming only Phases 1 and 2 participate. 


Whether you are interested or are NOT interested in fixing the roads, we would like to hear from you:  please join or start a conversation on our Facebook page, or email info@glengarry2hoa.org with your thoughts after looking through the information below.


The Process to Get Subdivision Roads Fixed

To get the roads fixed, we have to agree to tax ourselves.  It’s called, appropriately, a SAD (Special Assessment District), and it’s summarized here. 


The first major step is to circulate a petition and receive 60% approval from the residents to move forward.  We have to tell the Township’s Engineering Services exactly which lots we want to include in the petition.  There is some strategy to this.  For example, we might include the entire subdivision, or only Phases 1 and 2, or maybe something in between.  (A subdivision map showing Phases 1-6 is here, but the SAD boundaries do not need to align with HOA boundaries).  The advantage of including the entire subdivision is that the cost per household obviously goes down. The disadvantage is that a lot of people at the south end of the subdivision would seem likely to decline – the roads are not too bad down there and they have other entrance options from Seabrook Drive and Palmer Road.


After approval of the petition by the Township Board, engineering specifications are developed and competitive bids are sought from construction companies to do the work. The Township then rolls up the total project cost, which includes the final construction cost, the Township’s administrative costs, the interest rate on the bonds that will be sold to fund the project, and other miscellaneous costs.  The Township then holds a final public hearing and approves or denies the project based on public comment.


For each lot subject to the SAD, the principal is spread over 10 years (typically) and becomes part of the tax assessment on the lot.  It is due with the winter tax bill.  The interest rate would be around 3%, but the exact figure would be known at the time of the project approval. The homeowner can pay off the entire balance at any time to avoid future interest. 


Canton Township considers the assessment a lien on the property, not on the homeowner.  This means that if you move during the duration of the assessment, the remaining portion becomes the responsibility of the new homeowner.  It is possible that a prospective buyer of your home would try to negotiate that you pay off the assessment as a condition of the purchase.  The Township takes no position on this.


Activity in 2014

In 2014, the Board of Directors in Glengarry Phase 1 took the initiative to get cost estimates for the repair of roads in their subdivision.  This cost estimate covered Glengarry Boulevard only in Phase I, as well as other roads in Phase I.


As Glengarry Boulevard is used by residents outside of Phase 1, they were naturally seeking interest from the other phases.  To gain broader interest outside of Phase 1, a second set of estimates was made that focused only on Glengarry Boulevard through the remainder of the subdivision (Phases 2, 3, and 456).


Links to these two engineering reports are below.  They were made by Soil and Materials Engineers, Inc., from Plymouth.  They include an analysis of the types of repairs needed (e.g., maintenance, aggressive maintenance, reconstruction, etc.) and cost estimates for different sections of the roads.  Mr. Charles Larocque, Staff Engineer with Canton Township, provides a cover letter for each report that summarizes how the cost estimates roll up.


Report #1 – June 12, 2014

Report #2 – September 12, 2014


The cost estimates in these reports are accurate with respect to the raw numbers, but not in terms of what you (residents of Phase 2) would potentially pay on a per household basis.  Mr. Larocque’s cost estimate roll-up in the first letter includes roads in Phase 1 (i.e., more than just the boulevard) that obviously would not be paid for by residents in other phases.  He then breaks down the cost per household, but only assumes the 140 lots in Phase 1, since they were the ones who requested the estimate.  In the second report, Mr. Larocque excludes all cost estimates from the first report except the cost estimate for the boulevard itself.  He then combines this with the estimates contained in the second report for the boulevard in the remainder of the subdivision.  From the two SME reports, he arrives at a cost estimate per household to fix all of Glengarry Boulevard.  However, in this case, he assumes that all 512 lots in the subdivision will participate, which is possible but seems unlikely. 


Here are more likely per household costs

So what is a more likely cost to a resident in Phase 2?  It is far more likely that Phase 1, 2, and 3, or only Phases 1 and 2 would participate in the SAD. 


If Phases 1, 2, and 3 participate, the cost estimate is about $2,900 per household.  If only Phases 1 and 2 participate, the cost estimate is about $3,600 per household.  If all six phases participate, the cost estimate is about $1,750 per household.  The detailed breakdowns to arrive at these numbers are provided in the links below.


Again, these costs are added to the homeowner’s tax bill.  The homeowner has the option of paying them off in full, or spreading payments out over 10 years, which would incur interest.


Here are the detailed breakdowns for three scenarios but keep in mind that the SAD boundaries do not need to align with HOA boundaries, so other scenarios are possible.  The raw cost estimates for individual road sections are the same as in the SME reports linked above (including costs as a percentage added by the Township), but the cost estimates are based on the assumptions of doing only the boulevard repairs in Phases 1 and 2, or in Phases 1-3, or in phases 1-6, and then dividing by the appropriate number of lots in each case to determine the per household cost estimate.


Scenario #1 – Glengarry Boulevard is repaired in Phases 1-6:  $1,755 per lot

Scenario #2 – Glengarry Boulevard is repaired in Phases 1, 2, and 3:  $2,890 per lot

Scenario #3 – Glengarry Boulevard is repaired in Phases 1 and 2 only:  $3,611 per lot



Note that these scenarios include only Glengarry Boulevard.  Side streets are not included, and indeed, except for Phase 1, were not included in the SME estimates.


Finally, it is important to remember that these cost estimates are based on a visual inspection by an engineering firm.  These are estimates by that firm.  There is no further engineering documentation available, so there is no basis right now to have firm quotations from construction companies.





Last updated:  November 22, 2014